On New Year's Eve and Day we had a family reunion in Salt Lake City, Utah. We left a few days early. It was quite the adventure.
We first started off and drove the first day to Rock Springs, Wyoming and stayed with our cousins over night. that was a fun visit. My kids love them so much. They especially love taking a bubble bath in there huge bath tub!
The next day it was snowing when we left and about an hour from the time we left they closed the high way in both directions. We were first stuck on an exit that was just a little pull off. We layed all our seats down and snuggled all up together with pillows and blankets and watched movies. Then all these cars started going back on the high way so we thought they opened the road back up, so we followed. We turned off on the next exit at a travel center to use the bathrooms and eat. We found out that the roads were not open yet and they were giving out $1500 tickets to whoever drove on them. So luckily we were able go to the travel center though. We were stuck for about 7 hours. They first said the roads were not going to open until 6:00am the next morning, so we thought we were going to have to sleep in the car. They ended up opening at about 7pm, so we arrived at the motel in Salt Lake at about 9:45. Daniel's parents saved us a room. It was a long day but it was kind of fun, too!
The next day we went shopping to get white elephant gifts for our reunion that night. Daniel's sister and her husband hung out with us that day. Her husband hasn't ever been to Salt Lake, so we went to Temple Square and to see the Joseph Smith movie at the Legacy Theater. That was an excellent one if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
I forgot to take pictures so sorry about the novel here!
They next day was New Years Day, we left and went about 45 minutes to Heber, Utah. There they have a huge crater. Here is a description I got off there web site. It is a 55 ft high dome shaped mound surrounding 65 ft deep mineral rich body of water. It was awesome. We stayed in the motel next to it. Daniels mom and dad, his little brothers and sister, and 2 of his other sisters and there husbands all came. Daniel went Scuba Diving in the crater and the rest of us went snorkeling in it. Daniel's sister in 8 months pregnant so she didn't go and she watched our kids for us. The water in the crater was 91 degrees. It was really cool. They have discovered lot of stuff at the bottom of it. We took our kids swimming in the other pool and they had lots of fun doing that. I didn't get a picture of the crater but I got this one off there web site. It is a picture from inside it.
Friday, January 4, 2008
Road Trip to Utah
Posted by Jensen Family at 9:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You guys always seem to be going on a trip to somewhere. This one sounds adventurous but I'm glad everything turned out ok. Glad you didn't have to stay overnight in your vehicle, Brrr. But these are the trips that you will remember because of the family time you spent together. That crater looks awesome. How fun for you. I would love water that warm. Yes hopefully next year we can make it up your way.
Ditto to Tiffanys, you guys are always traveling! Busy life huh? I have never heard of $1500 tickets, that is CRAZY, but thank goodness for little blessings like them opening the roads! What a joy it would be to sleep in a freezing car with three little ones, NoT! Happy New years anyway, I was wondering where you were!
Oh, is that Cristy you saw in Wyoming! She needs to start one of these or at least let you post picks of her kids, I haven't seen any of them except for Brendon when he was a new born!!!! Tell her what is up from me?
Sounds like a fun adventure! We miss you guys! Okay, which sister is 8 months pregnant?
Kim, I was looking at and reading your blog and just the top of the crater picture was showing at the bottom of the screen. I was a little shocked to see an ultrasound picture! At least that is what it looked like until I scrolled down to see the whole pic! You had me going for a second!
I am glad you guys were safe and enjoyed your snowy drive! We missed you at our New Year's Eve Party but I guess spending time with family it a justifiable reason for missing it!
Post a Comment