Tuesday, October 28, 2008

1st Egg


Our chickens are finally full grown! One of the yellow/white ones layed the 1st egg! Our kids were so excited to see it and hold it!

We also butchered our 1st one today. I know it sounds cruel but that's what we raised them for and the kids knew that's what was going to happen. The girls were fighting over which one we were going to do. Ashley's is the gray one, Hailey's and Ryan have the white ones and Daniels was the brown. So we chose the brown one but Hailey was really sad because she said that was her favorite even though it isn't hers. Hailey got the saddest, but she got over it. I'm glad my kids got to experience this and they fully understand now how and where we get chicken from. We BBQ the chicken meat. I couldn't stomach very much but at least I tasted it. The breast were really tough. We decided we aren't going to butcher the rest though, it is too much work for so little meat. We are just hoping to get eggs from all of them.

Saying goodbye to "Brownie"

I really debated to even post on this part I didn't want anyone to think we were cruel. But seriously the kids took it fine and they knew it was going to happen for a while. Now we are down to 3 chickens, one for each kid. They keep going outside to see if the other 2 layed an eggs yet.

8 comments:

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

You guys are troopers. I remember participating in a turkey butcher one year on my Great Uncles Carles farm and it didn't traumatize me. Even though I eat meat, I would have a hard time eating meat we raised and then butchered ourselves....not to say I think it's wrong, I am just wierd that way. Derrick and I decided he needs to start hunting but I think we will have someone else butcher it. Good job with the egg, that is so exciting!

BrImHaLl FaMiLy said...

Cool on the egg part!! I remember when we had chickens. Do you? We even sold the eggs we had so many.

carrie said...

you guys are so cool! i love it.

Tiffany said...

Where's the pictures of you plucking the chicken? Did Daniel get to do all the honors? It is good for kids these days to see where our food comes from. I would love to raise some animals for our kids to. I need some eggs, they are not always cheap. Good experiences.

Hurt Family said...

Ill say it you are just mean poor little chicken all its wanted to do is lay eggs.

Dickey Family said...

Kim i know about the whole butchering thing. We had to butcher one of Jaytin's chickens. I did not try it though I left the honors to my BIL & SIL they said it was tough too! Anyway the egg thing is cool. That was our purpose too. It is nice not having to buy so many and they taste better when they are fresh! We also raise beef calves. The first time we butchered them was kinda strange for me to know which one I was eating!

The Watkins said...

Ryan keeps asking me if we can get some chickens. I better not show him this post of yours.

Hudson Clan said...

How sad makes me want to cry for the pet chick! It would be cool to have eggs!