So it has been almost a month since we canceled our Satellite and packed up our T.V. and DVD player to be stored at our shop. It has been hard to get use to and was a hard decision, but I think it will be definitely worth it. We found ourselves watching too much t.v. and not doing enough reading. Ashley and Hailey both can read OK but they were having problems with their fluency and blending everything they read together smoothly. We are hoping that will definitely improve now. We also felt there is just too many bad things on TV. Yes I didn't let my kids watch bad shows heck I wouldn't even let them watch Sponge Bob, but they saw enough from the stuff we would watch and from those awful commercials! We felt our kids were getting desensitized from the world. They catch on to so many things. Just watching a CSI Ashley was telling me what happened and proceeded to tell me the girl got raped. I asked her what that meant and she said that she just got hurt. But that was enough, so it was a decision that we felt was best for OUR little family. No I don't think anyone else is bad for having TV. I seriously wish I could pull out the TV and veg out to it all the time. Anyway we still have a small TV that has a dvd player attached and I let the kids watch movies on it sometimes. We also have a dvd player in our Tahoe so when we go places that take a while we let them watch movies. Some activities we have been enjoying are puzzles, blocks, walks, coloring, kid zui on the computer and reading. We go to the Library more often and the kids love picking out books. They have been reading more often it has been great! I even finally got Ryan to learn how to write his name. I swear I would just get so frustrated any time I would try to teach him before but last week he finally learned it good! Here are a few pics of the kids reading...even Corbin! OK I staged Corbin in but he does love his book and looks at it often. Ryan was sick but he loves his Scooby Doo books from the Library.
There were a few warmer days last week and we just had to take advantage of them we went to the park and played at home in our own backyard. Corbin is so funny he loves being outside but he doesn't like to be held he just wants down with the big kids! We were in our backyard and I was sitting on the porch just watching the kids and Corbin wanted down so bad I finally just let him. He was all over the porch he even tried to crawl on the grass to go get the other kids. His pants got filthy but he was having the time of his life! He loves when Ashley and Hailey take him down the slide!
Ryan is showing Hailey his super hero castle he built while she was at school!
Corbin has been such a pain. He does not sleep good. The worse part he absolutely will not fall asleep on his own. He has cried up to 3 hours in his crib. He just wants to be rocked and then when I try to lay him down he starts crying right away. Every one tells me to just let him cry it out and he will eventually learn. But I am sorry 3 hours was hell. I couldn't stand it anymore. He wont even lay himself down he stands or sits up in his crib the whole time. So if anyone has any tips it would be great! He has never cried himself to sleep. I have let him cry in his crib so many times and he never stops. I finally just started laying out some blankets in the living room and getting him to sleep and laying him there he starts crying but if I lay right with him for a few minutes he falls asleep good and I can sneak away. I am hoping he will grow out of this. Other than his sleeping issues he is just the cutest thing! He has such a fun personality and everyone just loves him to death!
The kids had some fun dip and I let Corbin have one of the sticks to see what he would do. He loved it but that's all the candy for you Corbin! He is funny he usually doesn't like anything we give him tastes of. He sure loves his rice cereal though!
So everyone tells my Corbin looks just like Ryan did. But I don't think so. I think he is a perfect mix between all 3 kids. He does things that remind me of each kid. Any way I thought it would be fun to throw in a side by side of Ryan at the same age in the same jammies! What do you think...I think there are similarities but they don't look that much alike!
Oh if you can't tell Corbin is on the left and Ryan is on the right! Sorry for the long post but I think I will keep up more on the blogging without a TV...lol!
Monday, February 8, 2010
No T.V. and other randomness....
Posted by Jensen Family at 1:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I agree with the TV Kim! I too don't think anything with other people watching TV, but we got rid of cable and had just a digital converter box. Even THAT was too much because my kids found Qubo and it's on 24/7. Since we moved we don't have a satelite for it and I haven't missed it ONE bit....except I will be watching Glee on HULU:)! As for Ryan and Corbin, I couldn't tell they were two different babies at first glance, but after you pointed it out I see the difference! I think all of your kids look a lot alike except Ashley looks SO much like you, to me at least!
I agree with TV! We do have our DVD and VHS still, but the kids have to read at least 20 min. before any movies. And I watch all my shows on Hulu too. I like that better cuz then I can watch them anytime I want to (after they're posted!).
Good luck with Corbin sleeping, that's how Jonathan was and it drove us crazy...same thing too, people would tell us to let him cry it out, but that was very hard. He just eventually grew out of it. I know, no comfort there, but really, good luck.
They definitely look alike!! Both are adorable!!
Well good now i expect lots more posts from you, if only i had the same motivation to update my blog! We pushed out TV back to the most basic package we could get and i'm sure at some point i will drop it for good to. It definately is a time waster. Yeah 4 kids later and i don't have much advice to offer on sleeping either. Camden will fall asleep on his own but when he wakes up at night he just screams and won't ever go back to bed either and it is frustrating. I wish he would sleep through the night already! Good luck.
I agree TV is trash. We keep ours for the news which I guess we could watch on the computer. We don't let our kids watch sponge bob either. They only get to watch a few things. The commercials are the worst. Proud of you guys!
I just had to let my kids cry too. It wasn't ever three straight hours but they would cry on and off for several hours. That is the only thing that worked for us. Hope it gets better. I know how bad that stinks. I've had three like that. Sometimes they still wake up at night. Your kids are getting so big and they are so precious!!
Great idea! I think more of us really need to think about ding the same thing for our kids!
I admire you guys for getting rid of the TV. I think it would be a great idea but I don't know if we could do it. I like American Idol and Grey's Anatomy (among other shows) too much. Hallie was the exact same way about bedtime and we still struggle with it. But, what really helped was something we saw on Super Nanny. We would read stories, prayers, goodnights, etc. then we would turn off the lights and I would sit in the rocking chair in their room (and I played tetris on my phone) until the girls were asleep. I did this for a few nights and then I would only sit in there for 10 minutes, then 5 minutes and now we can just leave after the lights our turned out. It has helped tremendously. Good Luck!
Post a Comment